Friday, July 11, 2008

Julia

I know I've been way too long since I've posted. I cracked my computer case and had to send it back to the states with someone for repair (it affected the DVD drive) and then wait for it to be brought back with a team coming...Thankfully the computer is under warranty...

A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from a girl named Julia. She is Moldovan and had gone to the states as an exchange student, was placed with a Christian family and found Jesus in her time there. She was preparing to come back to Moldova and found our website and contacted me. She simply asked, "are there Christian churches in Moldova?"

I, by no means, take this as a condemnation of the church here. The church is doing much to evangelize, but it is such a small population of believers. It shows me that this country still needs to be reached in such a major way.

The other day Julia and I met to have lunch. Her dad came to the street to meet me. He asked what the purpose of my meeting with her and what time I'd have her back home. I think I understood a bit of a boy who takes a girl on a date and gets grilled by her dad. Then that afternoon Andy and I had to go meet her dad and tell him what we are doing in Moldova, who we are and such.

Julia went the last 2 days to Moldovan youth camp with us with a team that is here from Rapid City, SD. She has loved it. She is hearing, for the first time, the gospel and worship in her language. Tomorrow she is going with the team to do the sight seeing and she will translate. She is so happy to have found Christians (and, yes, her American host family is excited too).

But her dad does not understand. Could you pray for him and his wife? They are both very brilliant people. Both professors at the university here and both wondering why we, as Americans, care for their daughter. They think she was brainwashed in the states, but we know she was transformed by the power of God.

Pray for wisdom in this situation. Wisdom for us as we talk with her father. Wisdom for her as she responds to him and her step-mom. Pray for understanding for her father and that his eyes would be opened to the truth of the gospel.

And please continue to pray that Julia can get rooted in Christ in her homeland. It is exciting to see what God has done in her life. Pray that His work continues in her.

No comments: