Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jan. 18, Bringing hope to the Broken

When I first came to Moldova, I saw my position of just one as wife, mother, home-school teacher. Over the past 2 1/2 years God has opened my eyes to a huge need here and has called me to respond.

The trafficking of women for forced prostitution has become the #2 money making industry in the world, just behind drug trafficking. It will probalby overtake the other soon, because a human can be sold again and again and used and abused over and over. Drugs can only be sold once.

After arriving in Moldova I begin to hear about the problem of trafficked women from Moldova to other parts of the world. It is estimated that 2 to 5 women leave Moldova a day, thinking they are going for a legitimate job in the west, only to be sold into sex slavery. A lady from a secular organization asked me, "what is the church going to do about this?" This bothered me, but I didn't want to get involved. Somebody else could respond.

I couldn't get away from that question or the overwhelming thought of the pain these women must feel. I knew the only hope they could find is in Jesus. I tried to make excuses to God that I wasn't the person to respond, but He didn't take any of my excuses. He kept bringing the need to me again and again.

I knew that God was calling me to open a home for women who have been forced into prostitution and returned to Moldova--a home where they can find hope, healing and restauration for their mind, body and soul. A home where they can see the hope in Christ and find freedom from misplaced guilt.

Those of you who know me personally don't need to worry that I'm going to begin to combat traffickers or break into brothels. Every year many of these women return having no where to live long term and no way to return to their village or home they left. They are branded with the Scarlet "A" in their small villages.

Our home will be a part of a larger AGWM ministry, Project Rescue, which has operated for 8 years and has 12 homes going in Southeast Asia. At the end of February, I will travel with a small group from the states and visit some of the existing homes, meet the staff and talk with them, learn from them and see what will apply in this culture.

Currently in Moldova we are looking for a home to buy and restore. This will be the first Project REscue home outside Southeast Asia. At the beginning of our next term we will finish the home and begin ministry in the home. We have another woman coming to work with us in this ministry. She will come soon and begin language study.

1. Please pray for this ministry in Molodva. I feel with this blog I really can't express the true pain and need. But it is huge in Moldova. God has gone before us in this entire endevour. As I have said, "yes" to him, each step of the way, I'm amazed at what He then leads us to and opens for us.

2. Pray that God would lead us to the right house at the right price to use for this ministry.

3. Pray that we find the right Moldovan staff to work with us with this ministry.

4. Pray as I travel to India. First, I need my visa to come through. It is not an easy process with India and I will need to travel to Bucharest, Romania to pick it up. But I need it to come through before I must leave on February 23. Pray also that I would be spiritually prepared for this time. I really don't worry about my safety, but I do think about the emotional toll this trip will have on me as I meet girls and women so abused. And pray for Andy and the girls who will remain here.

5. Pray that God will enable us to bring hope to the broken lives of women from Moldova.

No comments: