Sunday, November 18, 2007

Family Matters

Please pray this week for my family in Minnesota.

Some of you know my dad has Alzheimer's. His disease is affecting his physical body faster than the deterioration of his mind. His care is becoming a 24/7 job that my mom just cannot manage alone. The wear on my mom's physical and emotional being is also very evident.

I'm very blessed to be the youngest of 6 children. Four of my siblings all live within a 20 minute radius of my parents. They have been meeting and this week they are going to talk to my parents about how they are going to need to make a change in their living situation. They just can't manage on their own any longer.

It is tough because my dad needs care, but his mind is still enough there that a memory care facility isn't right for him. My mom could still live many years easily on her own and so isn't quite ready for assisted living. But something has to happen that they can both deal with. They'll be married 54 years in March and to talk of splitting them up isn't easy either.

This week my brothers will talk with my dad and a nurse will evaluate him. They will also need to talk with my mom. The holidays are going to be very tough for my family there.

I ask you to pray for my family, the Horns, this week.

And I know you wonder how I'm doing. I'm okay with all of this. I have been dealing with this in a different way and maybe processing longer than the rest because I've been away so. I also knew last year that it was most likely my last year with my dad and that I'd be leaving him maybe for the last time when I boarded the plane in August. So, I'd been dealing with this for some time. But, yes, it is still hard to be slowly losing my dad.

I know that the weeks ahead are going to be hard for all those involved. Please pray for wisdom in words, grace and dignity in actions and peace in the storm as we cross one of these hurdles that is always a difficulty in life.

Thanks for your prayers, once again.

Blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank for sharing your life and needs with us.
Dear Father,
Thank-you for the loving care you give to us and Lord,thank-you for the strength and peace that is ours in You. I ask you, Lord Jesus to wrap your arms around each family member, near and far. Give them wisdom and direction at this time of transition. Lord, life can just hurt and I know you understand. In Jesus name.